Thank you for your patience and for having responded so energetically to our invitation to make bookings at Radley. We have been in close contact with Radley College, the T&RA, Sport England and many other clubs in England about re-opening and keeping our members and Pros as safe as possible, while enjoying the return of tennis play. There is no standard model for Covid-19 resistant procedures. We have written our own, taking the views of all these third parties into account, and our knowledge that our members are responsible, possessed of common sense and goodwill towards all men and women.
These new rules of play will prevail until further notice. We know that they are in some respects less prescriptive and restrictive than those at many other clubs, while still being carefully considered with your health and safety in mind. They are, above all, pragmatic. We hope that, as a result, they will be easy to understand and to follow. Please help us to protect you and your fellow players by reading the attachment carefully and following the protocol closely.
We realise that everyone is different and that you may not share our interpretation of the plethora of recommendations and preventative measures. We regret if that is the case, but look forward to welcoming you back to the club when conditions have improved and restrictions ease further. If you have any comments or questions, please address them to me, as I am the RCTC Covid-19 Containment Officer.
See you on court!
COVID-19 PREVENTION RULES OF PLAY, from 25 JULY 2020
We are delighted to welcome Radley members back to the
court from 25 July. We want to ensure everyone is kept as
safe as possible, which we feel can be achieved with the
use of common sense and good hygiene and without the
rather draconian measures being enforced at several
We are familiar with the approach of most tennis clubs in
England, the T&RA and Sport England. If you are not
happy with the Radley approach set out below, you have
the option not to play until the situation eases further.
The following rules will be in force until further notice and
Radley reserves the right to revise them at any time.
By booking a court, you acknowledge that you have read
these rules and will abide by them. Ignorance of the law is
Be Responsible / Keep Your Distance / Wash Your Hands
- No one who has, or is suspected of having, the Covid-19
infection, or is vulnerable, or shielding, should come to the court.
- If you are one of the people mentioned above, only come to the
court once 14 days have elapsed from the onset of symptoms.
- If you need to cancel a booking because you are one of the
people mentioned above, no cancellation fees will be charged,
but please give as much notice as possible, to give the Pros time
to fill your booking.
- No guests or non-players to enter the Club.
- A ‘fogging machine’, releasing a proven anti-coronavirus spray,
will be used every evening inside the court.
- Bring your own water bottle (full, please!) or buy a bottle of water
from the Pros. The water fountain in the clubroom will not be
- No drinks from the club fridge or the club’s crockery or glasses
will be available for use.
- Arrive promptly, changed and ready to play, but do not enter the
Club until welcomed by a professional. This will allow players
coming off court to leave and for the court and balls to be
cleaned, as necessary.
- Use the club’s hand gel on arrival. This is IMPERATIVE, to avoid
having to play in gloves or having to use marked or restricted
sets of balls.
- There will be hand-sanitising gel in the First Gallery and Hazard
First Gallery to use before and after playing.
- The clubroom must not be used, except to give access to the
court. Seating in the clubroom, the Dedans and the Pros’ area
will not be available to members.
- On entering the club, retain all your possessions and leave them
by the court, where indicated, while you play.
- Two chairs will be provided, at the point of access to the court,
which are only for using when you change in and out of your
- If you put balls in a pocket, ensure that pocket is otherwise
- Enjoy a terrific game of tennis, taking care to maintain as much
distance as possible between players. No handshakes.
- After playing, please do not linger. Promptly come back to the
club room and give your scores to the Pros, make new bookings
and check you accounts. We will all be able to start on time
ONLY if everyone is prompt in vacating the court.
- Singles and doubles play and individual practice will be
permitted. For doubles, all players should be from the same
household or must be comfortable about playing in a nonhousehold group.
- Lessons with a professional can be booked.
- Court booking times will remain the same (i.e. 60, 90 or 120
mins), but the finish time will be earlier. Play must end, and the
court be vacated, 5 mins before the scheduled end of the
- The Pros will come into the dedans, as usual, 10 mins before the
end of each booking. They will not mark the match but will tell
players they have 5 mins left to play. Play must end 5 mins
before the scheduled end of the booking.
- The changing rooms and shower facilities of the Sports Centre
will not be in use. The toilets will be available and will be cleaned
- Airflow in and around the court is extremely important. Doors will
be left open, when and wherever possible.
- Following a T&RA recommendation, no changes to handicaps
will be made until further notice. Everyone needs some time to
get back to match fitness after all!
- If, having been to the Club, you experience any Covid-19-like
symptoms, please contact the Pros, who will inform Maggie
immediately and she will inform all those who played the same
day. Such a member will be subject to “Track and Trace”
government requirements and their contact details will be passed
on as required. This member will not be allowed to return to
Radley until after the 14-day quarantine period.
If you have questions or comments about these rules, please
contact Maggie Henderson-Tew, the Covid-19 Prevention
Officer for RCTC, by email: email@example.com or
call her on 07736 666 870.
Be Responsible / Keep Your Distance / Wash Your Hands